Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Sick baby...again

Well, I am really starting to dislike Fall! This is unfortunate because Fall is my favorite season (Spring is a close second). My birthday is in the fall. Halloween is in the fall. And sickness in babies is in the fall. For some reason, I had myself convinced we could avoid a lot of the fall sickness because I stay at home with Ben right now and he isn't in daycare. They also say that breastfed babies don't generally get sick as frequently as formula fed babies...which makes me wonder how sick he would be if he wasn't breastfed! He has eczema and the doctor said that babies with eczema are more likely to have allergies and so forth later on in life. Nathan and I both had eczema when we were little and we both had allergies and asthma, so am I really surprised? No, but one can always hope!

We had to go to the doctor at 8:30pm last night because Ben had a fever of 102.5 and had a hoarse voice. It turns out he has an upper respiratory viral infection and an ear infection. We started antibiotics today. It makes me sad that at 4 months old, my baby already has to have antibiotics. Today, he has developed a slight cough as well, which is to be expected. The doc told me that the virus would have to run its course. We have to go back in 2 weeks to make sure the ear infection has cleared up. I have read that babies that use pacifiers are more prone to ear infections, which makes me wonder if we should get rid of the pacifier.

I thought he had a hoarse voice over the weekend, but he hadn't felt warm, so I didn't take his temperature. Now I feel like a bad mommy for not checking it sooner! He is doing very well despite being sick though! He has still been playing, smiling, and laughing like normal, which is why I wasn't sure if he was sick. He has been sleeping more than normal and gets crabby when he is tired, but otherwise is dealing with being sick very well. He woke up crying a few times last night, but still slept fairly well. Hopefully he will get better soon and stay healthy!

2 comments:

  1. Charlotte had a hoarse voice but it I think it was because she was congested from teething. I am terrified of sickness to the point where I worry myself to where I can't sleep. Silly I know but there is just so much going around! I hope Ben feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean! I thought I was being a worrier about his hoarse voice, then when he had a fever, I felt terrible that I didn't check it sooner! I was so relieved it wasn't the flu!!!

    ReplyDelete